Have you heard of a new “church” called “The National Church of Bey” or Church of Beyism or simple Church of Beyonce? Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter (born September 4, 1981) is an American singer, songwriter, record producer and actress. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, she performed in various singing and dancing competitions as a child and rose to fame in the late 1990s as lead singer of R&B girl-group Destiny’s Child.
Although the church has been with us for a while, it’s still important to talk about it here, so we are aware of what is really going on among us. In this Church, popular US singer, Beyoncé Knowles’ images are purportedly being venerated as Christians worship Jesus. There are also statues of Beyoncé dressed as the Pope or the Catholic image of Jesus. One peculiar thing about this church is, she has a prayer candle bearing her photos.
It was alleged by a section of the media that Beyoncé’s childhood pastor, Rudy Rasmus, has defended Beyoncé with The words of Joshua 24:15, after Beyonce was alleged to have donated $7million dollars to his church. The founders of the church of Bey are presently unknown as Beyoncé has not out-rightly come out to endorse the new religion. However, the founder of the church, through a Tumblr note, asserts that the number of its followers has increased sporadically.
The Church in April 2014, released a Tumblr note with the title, “Lies and Misinformation”. Below is an excerpt from the note, which I believe explains the Philosophy of the church;
“- We are very disappointed in the failure of the public to recognize the existence of a divine
- Deity walking among them.
- Deity’s often walk the Earth in their flesh form.
- Beyonce will transcend back to the spirit once her work here on Mother Earth has been completed.
- As our congregation continues to swell, we ask that you consider what is more real; an invisible spirit on high, or a walking, talking, breathing Goddess who shows you her true form daily. Beyonce’s spirit is entrancing.
- We know that she was sent to this place to spread love, peace, and joy.
- While we do not believe Beyonce to be the Creator, we recognize that she still sits among the throne of Gods.
- There is a lot of false information being spread about our beliefs, but we will correct all of the vicious lie-tellers.
- As Beyonce spreads her gospel through song and dance, her message provides uplifting, loving, and many times real-life happenings.
- We humbly ask you to respect our beliefs, just as you want those to respect yours.
- Open your mind to new possibilities and you will see, just as we did, that Bey is a true higher power. Surfbort!”
The church has really witnessed a lot of controversies, especially when an ardent follower of the religion was found dead in her apartment few years ago. The deceased, Taniya Hattersfield, was reportedly a new member of the church. According to the local media, her dead body was found in the basement of her family home, College Park, Georgia, surrounded by a self-made shrine dedicated to the star.
Taniya’s suicide note read that she made herself a sacrifice to Beyoncé, her ‘lord and saviour’.