Ancelotti’s side Napoli, were beaten 1-0 by Internazionale in Milan on Boxing Day in a league game that was marred by racist chanting towards Napoli’s Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly and fan violence before the match in which a 35-year-old man reportedly died.
On Thursday, Serie A announced Inter will play two league games at the San Siro behind closed doors and that the 27-year-old Koulibaly had been given a two-match ban.
The Napoli coach pointed to Koulibaly’s dismissal in the 80th minute as the game’s turning point, suggesting the defender had been severely “shaken” by the abuse.
“The van driven by Napoli ultras was stopped by Inter ultras who wanted to fight and were using chains and sticks,” reported Il Corriere della Sera.
Four Napoli fans were also stabbed in violent clashes ahead of the game, said Repubblica.
“At the beginning of the new year, I will summon the leaders of the Serie A and B football clubs and supporters so that the stadiums and surrounding areas will once again become places of fun and not violence.”
Three Inter fans have been arrested, added Cadorna. Milan police were not immediately contactable when called by reporters from CNN.
Koulibaly was initially booked for a foul on Matteo Politano, but after sarcastically applauding the referee he was red carded.
Koulibaly later tweeted: “I’m sorry for the defeat and above all for leaving my brothers. But I’m proud of the color of my skin. To be French, Senegalese, Neapolitan: man”
Milan mayor Beppe Sala, an Inter supporter, said on Facebook that the next time he hears racist chanting at the San Siro he’ll stand up and leave. He also apologised to Koulibaly on behalf of himself and the city of Milan.
According to CNN report, Inter has refused to immediately reply to CNN’s request for comment.
In 2017, Ghanaian footballer Sulley Muntari said he received racial abuse every game playing in Italy’s Serie A.